<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://audreycaylin.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Audrey Caylin: {DREAMS AND CALLINGS} the best is yet to come

Saturday, July 15, 2017

{DREAMS AND CALLINGS} the best is yet to come


 This time last year, I was still a ballet dancer. I haven't talked about it much in a long while, but I'm suddenly remembering where I was July 2016: dancing literally 24/7 and aiming for a career as a professional dancer.

I wrote a more in-depth post on this in December, but, long story short, I got injured and had to stop dancing. And -- trust me -- when you stop doing something that you'd been doing nonstop for a long time, it feels really weird/horrible = rough months and moments of feeling utterly lost.

So it was really ironic, and perhaps perfectly timed, when a few weeks ago at church, this verse struck me hard:

"He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake wil find it."
~Matthew 10:39~
That really got me thinking about callings and passions.

I don't know about you, but it seems that we're always trying to find our lives, find that "thing" we're meant to do. You know, the one that we're awesome and talented at and will eventually change the world with. That duty that God gives us to undertake so that at the end of our lives we can hear Him say "Well done good and faithful servant, you did what I told you to do."

And hey, who doesn't want that? We're all in a mad scramble to find that thing, especially if we're teenagers/young adults. It's like there's this big box of gadgets in the corner and we're rifling through it, trying things out, trying to find "the one."

And I thought that for me, ballet was "the one." Then I found it wasn't, and since then have been pondering what it exactly means to find that "thing."

If I haven't already made it clear, I mean "that thing" in regards to a talent or a passion, like doing mission trips or starting an amazing organization or being a pastor or perhaps a best-selling author. And we're all sorting through The Things looking for The Thing and when we find The Thing then we can finally get on with our lives, pursue The Thing with all our being, and be faithful servants. But if we haven't found that Thing then we're failures, wandering, lost, and cannot be faithful servants at all... right?

Sometimes I feel that way about writing. Like, it's My Thing and I can't do anything else if I want to be a Faithful Servant.

But we are not One Thing


We are not simply "Algebra Masters" or "Poet Champions" or "Motivational Speakers" or whatever-else-it-is-you-call-your-passion-and-the-one-thing-you-like-to-do.

God isn't going to hand us this One Thing and say "Servant, you must use this to serve Me. If you use anything else, you are not being faithful to me."

I don't know about you, but I'm a lot more than One Thing. I'm a novelist. I'm a poet. I'm a nature lover, a blogger, a dreamer. I like helping people and bringing light to the world and making people laugh and smile and spreading truth and don't like one more than the other.

And all of this comes to the awesome yet sometimes frightening realization that: you are more than One Thing, so God is going to use you in more than One Way.

So maybe the next couple of years for me are going to be about writing. Right now, I can't imagine ever wanting to do something else. Which leads me to what I always have to remember:

don't hold on to dreams too tightly.

My mom has the greatest imagery for this: picture your dream in your hand. If you grip it too tightly and God tries to take it away -- guess what? You trip and fall trying to keep hold of it, and (since it's impossible to out-wrestle God) you end up on the ground with no dream wondering what is wrong.

On the other hand, if you keep that dream in open hands, and if God takes it, you'll be left wondering what happened, but you'll still be upright, knowing it was taken for a reason.

Dreams come and go, passions come and go. My goals are always shifting as I try to articulate just what God wants me to do.

But actually -- I'm doing it. Right now. Not just tomorrow or ten years from now or five years ago. Every moment, we can use our talents and our Things to be faithful servants to Him.

And no matter how many dreams get taken away by Him, of this I am sure:

The best is yet to come.

Seriously. Sometimes I just look back on the short life I've lived so far and realize that everything has gotten better and better. That might sound strange, but really, think about it: even if you go through deep valleys and dark times, it's always brighter on the other side. And even if the valleys keep getting darker, the summits keep getting brighter until -- guess what? -- you're in God's presence and He's saying "Well done good and faithful servant, you did what I told you to do." 

This post was all over the place. But, basically, I've just come to the awesome, freeing realization that even if my dreams ever change -- which they might one day -- even then, the one One Thing I need to do is love and serve God. Even if dreams die and suddenly I can't do a Thing, the best is still yet to come.

<3

audrey caylin


Just my deep, random thoughts for the week. What are some of your Things? Is the best yet to come for you?

Labels:

47 Comments:

At July 15, 2017 at 5:28 AM , Blogger Grace Marie said...

This was so inspiring and uplifting, thank you!

 
At July 15, 2017 at 5:35 AM , Blogger Ivie Brooks said...

This is beautiful, Audrey. I needed to see this. Thank you. I felt the same darkness when I finished high school over a month ago. I was so used to my routine and doing the same thing that I felt lost and with no purpose. I can't drive yet, so I can't get a job at the moment. (We're working on that, though.) I came out of that darkness, but still wondering what's next. It's a confusing time when you're so used to something and then, poof, it's gone.

Thank you for this inspirational post. God bless you! <3

 
At July 15, 2017 at 8:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So inspiring and beautiful<3

 
At July 15, 2017 at 9:09 AM , Blogger R.F. Gammon said...

This was epic and so, so true. Thank you for writing this. Thank you so much.

 
At July 15, 2017 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Anna said...

Oh Audrey, <3 someone's cutting onions in my heart and I think I feel it in my eyes too. This is so, so, so, so true. Especially at this point in my life, this post was much needed, thanks so much. <3

Anna - www.worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com

 
At July 15, 2017 at 2:41 PM , Blogger Perran Kids said...

I loved this post SO MUCH, Audrey! It's so beautiful and inspiring, and just SO TRUE. One of My Things is music! (Well, actually just about my only thing, because while I do not claim to be terribly good at music, I'm not really that good at anything else either, so...:-)) I'm a singer and a musician, and I want to use my music to spread God's love! It would be so hard having to just quit music, I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you to have to quit dancing! And by the way, I LOVE your Mom's imagery for this! I read it and was just baffled by the wisdom, truth, and PURE AWESOMENESS OF IT. :-)

~Skylar Reese

 
At July 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Melissa Gravitis said...

And yet another beautiful post! <3 I don't know what else to say really, because the word "beautiful" seems to sum it all up. :) Thanks for sharing once again!

 
At July 15, 2017 at 10:22 PM , Blogger Micaiah Saldaña said...

Wow. Just... Wow. One of my Things is writing-in fact, it may be my only Thing. A couple years ago, my Thing was tae kwon do. I got a black belt, was on the competition team, everything. And then I moved and discovered (or rather, rediscovered) writing. I'm excited to see where God takes me with this.

Great post, Audrey. =) And also, I've been loving your newsletter and the new design! What design platform do you use?

Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

 
At July 16, 2017 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Sarah Baran said...

This might just be the best thing I've read in a LONG time. WOW. So, so true, but far too few ever realize it. Thank you for sharing this.

 
At July 16, 2017 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is such a good post, and I relate especially because I have so many true passions. For seven years, dance (ballet, tap, jazz) was my Thing. Then I woke up one day and decided I was tired of it. Classical piano was another Thing, for twelve years; I literally visited Juilliard with the intent of trying to get in. But then I woke up one day and decided I hated piano. The past few years have centered around softball and writing, but my health problems make it very difficult to play softball now... "God is going to use you to do more than one thing. Don't hold on to dreams so tightly." < yeah. Thank you so much!

Hailey
www.haileyhudson.wordpress.com

 
At July 16, 2017 at 5:02 PM , Blogger Jane Maree said...

*hugs this post* I love it when you do these deep thoughts of the week posts. :) They're so encouraging and inspiring and YOU ALWAYS ADDRESS SOMETHING THAT'S BEEN ON MY MIND. God is so amazing like that. <33

 
At July 17, 2017 at 6:16 AM , Blogger Helena George said...

Wow, just wow. That was encouraging! A great reminder that our ultimate goal here on earth is not our own glory and fame and fortune. Rather, we are here for His glory. Thank you for this post!

 
At July 17, 2017 at 7:15 AM , Blogger Karyssa Norton said...

WOW!! Thank you so much for this! I've thought about this before, but not as in depth. This was so inspirational! Thank you, Audrey! :)

 
At July 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Arnica Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I love the realness of you writing from your heart!

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank YOU! I'm glad you liked it! :D

<3

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Those are really tough times. It's like your anchor just disappears, leaving you floating in nothingness, and the Enemy springs at that moment. Sometimes I get scared that the same thing will happen with my writing, especially at this time of year with the memories coming so hard.

I pray that things even out for your soon! I think God's about to bring you to something really special <3

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

THANK YOU, CLARA <3 <3

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you, Faith! :D You are super welcome <3

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you so much, Anna! I kinda felt the same way writing it :') I'm glad this came at a good time for you <33

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Music is such an awesome Thing, Skylar! I hope that dream of yours keeps coming, as that's a beautiful thing to pursue! <3

Haha, I'll tell that to my mom. Sometimes I wonder where she comes up with stuff like that ;)

AAAHHH THANK YOU. <33

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you so much, Melissa! :D

<3

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:28 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Oooh, that's really cool that you did tae kwon do! I hope the transition from one Thing to another was smooth. From what I've read of your writing, I think you've got a bright future ahead with it! :D

Thank you, Micaiah! I've been using Canva for a while. It's basically free, and works super well for everything involving blogging :)

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

EEEPP THANK YOU SO MUCH, SARAH! That means so much to me <3 <3

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Wow, you've done a lot! I kinda of transitioned between horseback riding and ballet for several years, then here I am doing neither and writing instead!

I'm sorry to hear you can't play softball :( I pray that improves for you soon!

Aaaahh thank YOU <3 <3

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

AAAHHH THANK YOU. Sometimes I feel like I do TOO many of them, but I love to write them so much. They usually revolve around things I've been pondering probably too much, so no, I don't have mind reading powers...not really ;)

YESS. One day I'm literally going to scream that from the rooftops <33

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:36 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you! :D

"We are here for His glory" Amen to that! <3

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:37 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Eeepp thank you, Karyssa! :D

 
At July 17, 2017 at 11:39 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Wow, thank you so much! It's kind of scary sometimes, but I just... feel like it needs to come out, if you know what I mean.

<3

 
At July 17, 2017 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Katrina Jackson said...

It's all about God. It's all about His plan. It's all about that glorious day when we see Him face to face. This post was absolutely lovely and completely, 100% true!!!

I mean, as real as I'm typing this comment right now, as real as you're reading this comment, Audrey, we WILL be in heaven sometime very soon, staring into Jesus' beautiful eyes. Just imagine that! *happy tingles* It's all. About. Eternity!

That is what your amazing post brought to mind :)

 
At July 18, 2017 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Ivie Brooks said...

It definitely can feel like your anchor has disappeared and it can be hard, but God is with us. I read an article about how when it feels like God is silent, He's really not. The Teacher is always quiet during the test.

I think writing will always be something that sticks with you, especially if you love it. Even when you have other obligations and other things you want to pursue, writing will always be there.

Thank you for your kind words. <3 I'm sure God is leading you down to where you're meant to be. :)

 
At July 19, 2017 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Abbiee said...

Wow I can really relate to this. I was in the same position a few years ago -- doing something 25/8 just TOTALLY OBSESSED with it... and then I realized that a different path was what my spirit was craving. So I had to completely shift my lifestyle and chase after the dreams that made my soul feel alive. And GOSH YES it was hard at first... that period of not knowing what to do with yourself... I CAN RELATE, BRO. but in the end, it's all worth it. for a new gold mine possibly even bigger. ;) I once heard it said like "sometimes you have to say no to one thing in order to say yes to something better" < paraphrasing but I really liked that. <3

KEEP WRITING KEEP DREAMING KEEP SLAYING IT.

rock on,
abbiee

 
At July 19, 2017 at 3:47 PM , Blogger Hannah White said...

Wow. I've heard that verse so many times, but I've never thought about it this way before. This was totally /not/ all over the place! It was beautifully articulated and you are amazing. Keep writing those words and doing your Thing and keeping your eyes on Him! <3

 
At July 20, 2017 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you so, so much, Ivie! I really needed that <3

 
At July 20, 2017 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Just thinking about that makes me want to dance around the house and sing all day! I just...wow. It's like, as Christians, we KNOW that is what's waiting for us in Heaven, but when you really think about it... I can't even begin to imagine just how beautiful that's going to be!

Thank you, Lila! And thank you for your beautiful comment <3

 
At July 20, 2017 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I think you and I have found a bigger gold mine then xD

I LOVE THAT QUOTE. I feel pulled in so many directions sometimes, like I'm required to keep doing one thing, BUT THAT IS NOT THE CAUSE.

AAAAHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH, ABBIEE. I literally want to put this awesome quote on my wall <33

 
At July 20, 2017 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I love God's Word so much because of that -- you can find so many different meanings from just a single verse!

Aw, thank you so much, Hannah! I really needed to hear that <33

 
At July 20, 2017 at 2:48 PM , Blogger Marrok Macintyre said...

Nice work Audrey! I think it's kind of funny how sometimes that Thing we try the most to hang on to is the thing God takes away from us. But when we put God first, seek Him, and serve Him God shows us that there are even more things we can do. I liked this Deep though post, it was fun!

 
At July 21, 2017 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Caroline Meek said...

Ivie - I just graduated high school too, and have gone through this same thing. And Audrey...thank you so much for this post! Hannah White sent me the link and she was right - it's exactly where I am right now. Trying to find that One Thing and painfully realizing that maybe it doesn't exist in the way I thought it did. Trying to not tie my whole identity up in what I think will be the Forever One Thing. Thanks for writing this post, I agree so much and support you too ❤️❤️❤️

 
At July 22, 2017 at 1:07 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Wow, that was amazing. God's been teaching you awesome concepts there. You're inspiring, thanks for sharing, keep chasing God, and I don't know what else to say. xx

 
At July 22, 2017 at 4:14 AM , Blogger Amy said...

This is so beautiful and inspiring, Audrey <3 Thank you!

A while back I thought singing and acting in musical theatre was what I was supposed to do, despite my extreme introverted-ness. I thought that I must just force myself to get over my shyness because I wanted to sing and act so badly. But as soon as I relaxed, and turned to writing, I realised I had been on the wrong course. I still enjoy singing and acting, but I've relaxed my focus on them.

So for a while I was holding onto my singing dream so tightly that I wouldn't let myself try writing or other hobbies. Thankfully, I learnt from that. (I think!)

Amazing post :)

Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

 
At July 23, 2017 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you so much, Caroline! I'm glad this came at a good time for you. I've been needing to remind myself this a lot lately. I hope you soon find the paths God wants to take you on <3

 
At July 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I think it always happens that way -- we get so attached to something that we start putting it before God and He's like "sorry, but I have to take this away before it destroys you."

Thank you, Marrok! :D

 
At July 23, 2017 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Aw, Jessica, thank you so much! I just... wow, thank you for such a beautiful comment <3 <3

 
At July 23, 2017 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

That's so cool that you do singing and acting! I guess sometimes we can have minor passions that we still enjoy but don't put all our time into. Did you do any Broadway or just musicals? (if you don't mind me asking :)

Thank you, Amy! <3

 
At July 31, 2017 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Haha, I cycled thru horseback riding at one point too. I've probably done too much! But I'm glad, because I can relate to people who enjoy all different types of things. Thank you for praying!

Hailey
www.haileyhudson.wordpress.com

 
At August 3, 2017 at 3:50 AM , Blogger Zane Jones said...

This was absolutely beautiful. I've been wondering about what I'm "supposed" to do in life - it seems like people think we should have it all figured out at age fifteen or sixteen. Spoiler alert - I don't. And no, I don't know what college I'm going to...

Thanks for this, Audrey! Very well put. 😊

 
At August 3, 2017 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Ditto. You're not the only one who feels that way! I don't even know what I want to do for college :P

Thank you so much, Zane! <3

 

Post a Comment

Hey there! I'd love to chat with you! Just please keep things clean and respectful.
*hands you a cup of unending gratitude*

And I respond to every comment, so be sure to check back for my reply!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home