<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://audreycaylin.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Audrey Caylin: #RebelliousWriting {AFRAID TO TURN THE PAGE}

Saturday, June 24, 2017

#RebelliousWriting {AFRAID TO TURN THE PAGE}


pic from pinterest
You've probably seen this thing called Rebellious Writing going around blogsphere lately. It was started by Gray as a rebellion against all the horrible stuff in the YA genre these days. This movement is making me do the happy dance, because I believe clean YA is really, really important.

Books are amazing. Stories are powerful. I rambled on about that a few weeks ago. But while stories can be powerful in amazing ways by inspiring us to do good, they can also do the opposite. Imagine if all the glorious power stories have was used for the other extreme.

Ouch. That looks dark. That looks gritty. That looks dangerous.

And that is what's happening to YA books today.


MY STORY WITH YA -- A RANT

Ever since I can remember, I've been an avid reader. Probably due to how my parents used to read to me every single night. I developed a great love for books and stories. As I started reading myself, I devoured books quicker and quicker.

Suddenly, my TBR pile started looking really small. I'd read about every book in the house (I was in middle school). I was a hungry for longer, more mature books. So I started pestering my mom to find more books for me. I'm incredibly thankful that, for the next years, she took the time to research books and make sure they were clean before giving them to me. I had to wait months sometimes (spoiler alert: I soon learned why my mom had to search for so long)


The result?

I reread the same books over and over.

The result of that?

I quickly got bored.

And the result of that?

I started reading less and becoming more convinced that decent books didn't exist. God used this for good though, and I turned to writing my own stories, because I could keep them clean and include whatever I wanted. But my reading life was greatly shaken by that. There were hardly any books that I really liked, and my love for reading had died a great bit.

Things turned for the better when my mom discovered Dragons in Our Midst. And it was around that time that I started choosing my own books. And suddenly I realized just what a difficult job my mom had had in finding good ones.

I could find none.

Via my mom, I was all too aware that a majority of YA books held a bunch of junk. We would both search for hours, reading review after review to make sure I wasn't going to read something that would get stuck in my head forever. 

I feel extremely blessed to have kept away from all that bad stuff. But, again, it really took a toll on my reading life. I'm very, very, very wary of reading new books. I will research and ask around and spend a great deal of time trying to figure out if this book is clean or not. Even then, I'll still get nervous before reading it, like I'm afraid to turn the page. (btw, I'm proud that I'm a discerning reader)

I love to read so much. Stories like Ilyon Chronicles and A Time to Die have had a really positive impact on my life. They've encouraged me, inspired me. Young adults need books that do that. But if they, like me, are afraid to pick up a book for fear that something unwholesome is in it, how will they find those good stories?

We won't. We'll be scared away from reading because we think that every story contains content that glorifies sin.

We do not need unclean books. Not at all. Yes, that stuff might exist in real life. But do we need it be shoved down our throats like some preachy message, only this a preachy message of evil? A message of glorifying sin and saying "this is real; this is normal. suck it up." No. We don't need that. Christians don't just accept sin as the new norm and be okay with that. We resist.

Or, in this case, we rebel against all the horrible stuff being put in the YA genre these days.

So what if it's only one page? One page of goodness can change your life as much as one scene of evil, inappropriate, plain wrong content can. Stuff like that doesn't just leave your head. It stays there, and the next time you pick up a book, you'll be afraid to turn a page for fear of the same thing happening to you again, more evil being preached at you, implying that it's "normal."

I'm not saying we want happy-go-lucky stories in which nothing bad happens. That would be unrealistic. But presenting sin as good and acceptable is also unrealistic, because sin is not good. Period. There is such a thing as right and wrong for a reason. Show it that way. Especially to teens, who are awakening to the world and need to know what is right and what is wrong. Twisting wrong into right is not only turning the YA genre into a mess that many of us are afraid to walk into, but is drawing us away from what should be a world of powerful storytelling that inspires us.

image from Gray's blog



<3

audrey caylin

 Let's fight to keep YA clean. Will you join?

Labels:

39 Comments:

At June 24, 2017 at 4:20 AM , Blogger Catherine Hawthorn said...

Welcome to the Rebellion, Audrey!

Oh my gosh, that fear is sooooo real! I also scour reviews and research the book before I read it, and sometimes I still get burned.

Catherine
catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

 
At June 24, 2017 at 5:10 AM , Blogger R.F. Gammon said...

I always have to do that. I hate it when I haven't looked at the book ahead of time and then it turns out to have something gross or bad in it. It's only happened a few times, but it has happened, and it drives me crazy.

Thanks for joining the Rebellion!

 
At June 24, 2017 at 5:25 AM , Blogger Ivie Brooks said...

YAY, another Rebellious Writer! Welcome to the team. This post was awesome. Bad books is what inspired me to write my own, too! I wanted to write something I would want to read. So many YA writers add junk into their books and it's getting old. We shouldn't have to do months of research to just read a book in a couple of days.

God bless you!
<3

 
At June 24, 2017 at 5:48 AM , Blogger Jane Maree said...

ACK YES. Yes yes and YES. *gives this post the Jane stamp of approval* I would write a longer comment but it's late Saturday night and I need to be in bed. XD

 
At June 24, 2017 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Grace Marie said...

Thank you for doing this post! You have such wisdom, and I completely agree with your points!!!

 
At June 24, 2017 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Anna said...

How beautifully done Audrey! You couldn't have written it better <3 Your words ring true, every single one. Welcome fellow Rebel! :)

 
At June 24, 2017 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Pip and Lolly said...

Let's do this! Yes, I'm so thankful my mom looked into books for me. Thanks for sharing

~ Pip

 
At June 24, 2017 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Julia Ryan said...

LOOK AT US! WE ARE THE REBELLION *grins cuz that's our camp nano cabin name*

really and truly tho, this post is so spot on. I TOTALLY GET YOU.

 
At June 24, 2017 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Sarah Margaret said...

um. wow. this is basically me? I totally relate - growing up I devoured books...and pestered my mom to look up more. finally, growing up into the middle grade/YA I just got disgusted with it all and somehow, I just decided to write the book that I would want to read + feel comfortable reading. And that's what I've been doing ever since - sounds like we are super alike in what we read! it's been hard for me in the way of asking others for book suggestions, even then, you can't always be sure with that "oh there may be a couple swear words." I was reading this super interesting book, and then had to stop reading it because of the swearing and it's like ugh, it just isn't necessary!

My goal had been to write clean books that leave out the unnecessary things like; swearing, teen romance, magic, and such. When I started writing I set those guidelines for myself - I didn't want to become what I was trying to fight. anyways, this is prob my most fav posts of yours. you are a powerful writer, Audrey <33

p.s. those books you said inspired you - I had been curious about them, but didn't want to follow the crowd and be disappointed in the content. xP would you recommend them?? xD

 
At June 24, 2017 at 5:33 PM , Blogger Jonathan said...

I totally understand! It is getting harder to find good, clean YA books.
This was a great post, Audrey! It reminded me of one of the reasons why I write.

 
At June 24, 2017 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Melissa Gravitis said...

Awesome post! Welcome to the Rebellion Audrey! XD You wrote all your points so well, and I feel you in trying to find clean books. It's a struggle, and it shouldn't have to be! Hopefully we can turn away the trend of darkness in YA one book at a time. :D

 
At June 24, 2017 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

This is so encouraging to read! I'm not a YA writer, but I read, and I know what you're talking about. I can't wait to read the wave of wholesome literature that will come out of this rebellion! You guys are all brave world-changers - keep it up! :)

 
At June 24, 2017 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Catherine Hawthorn said...

We actually have a sister hashtag (#RebelliousReading) for those readers who don't write but want to support the Rebellion for clean literature. It hasn't gotten a lot of attention since the bulk of us that are promoting this movement are writers.

Catherine
catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

 
At June 25, 2017 at 4:09 AM , Blogger Karyssa Norton said...

Ahh this is wonderful!! Maybe I should do a post like this too? It's really sad how so many YA books are feeding young adults wrong and bad things. It makes me want to put in so much more effort to make my books something good and wholesome. I'm so glad to know that I am not the only I one bothered by this, and that so many if you are speaking up. Thank you, Audrey! :)

 
At June 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Abigail Lennah said...

Welcome to the Rebellion! xD You wrote this so eloquently-- it's so important to have clean literature these days. So important. I want to write a post, but with NaNo and my online class, the best thing I can do is to do some coding on the site that's launching next month.

xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

 
At June 25, 2017 at 7:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesssss, I get this so hard. What you said at the end of your post really hit me. <3 So inspiring!
THIS IS SPOT ON! This is what The Rebellion cabin is gonna accomplish in Nano! Bring it on!

 
At June 26, 2017 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you! I'm so excited to be a part of it! :D

Ouch, yeah :P It's like I desperately WANT to hope the book is as good as the reviews say it is... but it's usually not.

<3

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:14 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I know :P Hopefully this Rebellion will help to stop that one day!

Thank you! I'm super excited to be a part of it! :D

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I'm so happy to be on the team! :D I think I ranted enough up there, but this is SO important to me. I can't wait to see what this movement accomplishes!

Thank you <3

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

*stares at stamp in awe* XD THANKS!

Ha, no problem, get some sleep xD

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you, Gray! I'm excited to be a part of this awesome movement <3

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you so much, Anna! That means a lot <3

I'm happy to join! :D

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:26 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

YES! I think the moms deserve some credit for Rebellious Writing too ;)

Thanks for reading! <3

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:26 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

ACK I KNOW. I understand the other meaning of our cabin title now xD

THANKS! Let's rebel <3

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Oh, wow, yes! I know so many people who suggest books to me, and I'm always SO wary. just because the plot and the characters are good, doesn't mean it's wholesome at all. I've had to skip some chapters of a book before since it got pretty bad :P

That is such an awesome goal -- so like my own! Sometimes I pull out my old manuscripts that I printed from Lulu just because I want something decent.

eeep, thank you so much <3 it's awesome to know that this sort of stuff is important to other people! <3

(I would definitely recommend them! I could give you more specifics of content if you'd like. do you want to message me? (nano or google chat or soemthing???)

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Yeah! I guess we're going to have to be the next generation of authors writing clean YA!

Thank you, Jonathan! :D

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you, Melissa! This movement is so SO cool!
I hope so! I think this rebellion is definitely going to help :D

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you, Jessica! I hope we can make a big difference here! Thanks for your support! <3 <3

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Yes! Join the rebellion! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this :D

Thank YOU. <3 I can't wait to see where this rebellion takes us!

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thanks, Abigail! I'm so excited to join xD

Oooh, that's going to be awesome! I can't wait to see what the site looks like!

<3

 
At June 26, 2017 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Aaaahh thank you <3

LET'S DO THIS. July will be the rise of the rebelling writers xD

 
At June 29, 2017 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Marrok Macintyre said...

Man I'm soo happy summer is here so I can read blogs again! These was a very interesting post! This is the first I've heard of rebellious YA writing. But I've known about the junk in books for as long as I can remember. That is why I've only read books by "Christian" authors. (Actually this post has got me thinking about a topic i want to do a post about)

But yeah I totally agree. And it's not only happening in YA books but also in movies and tv shows. Good is either made fun of or not in existence while sin is not only flaunted but also promoted.

 
At June 29, 2017 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Welcome back, Marrok! It's good to see you again! :D

Yep, it's a movement now ;) I've only gotten into reading Christian stuff in the last few years, but it's refreshing after some of the other stuff!

 
At June 30, 2017 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Marrok Macintyre said...

Oh by the way I love the new title picture! It reminds me a little of Pocahontas which is cool, The new layout is also very cool!

 
At July 1, 2017 at 10:14 AM , Blogger R.F. Gammon said...

This was a fun post! Oh boy. 133,000 words in two months? I'm in awe. All hail Queen Audrey! XD Seriously, though. Teach me your ways.

 
At July 3, 2017 at 12:07 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thanks, Marrok! I didn't intentionally go for that, but I guess it goes with my personality xD

 
At July 3, 2017 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thanks!

Ha, sort of ;) My outline was a huge help. I knew exactly what needed to happen in each scene, so I just dumped words on the page.

 
At July 6, 2017 at 6:13 AM , Blogger Abbiee said...

LITERALLY I WAS NODDING VIOLENTLY THROUGH THIS WHOLE POST AND SAYING "AMEN" (YES OUT LOUD) AND LOWKEY AIR-PUNCHED WHEN I REACHED THE END.

BECAUSE!! THIS!! NEEDS!! TO!! BE!! PREACHED!! FROM!! THE!! ROOFTOPS!!

WOW. YES.

I was literally just discussing this issue with my family last night. I've been getting more into reading YA fiction lately but WOW I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING DECENT BOOKS. I completely agree with you -- there is a way to present the problems that the world/people face without glorifying the problems. Immorality has somehow become "cool" << and this is SO POISONOUS to kids who have less guidance than ever. Your mom is a serious TREASURE to investigate books for you when you were younger...my mom did the same thing and I am eternally grateful for it. I know that if I was like other teenagers I see these days who simply consume any/all YA content...I wouldn't believe what I believe and I wouldn't write the kind of stories that I write.

UM I THINK I NEED TO DO THIS TAG BECAUSE OTHERWISE I'M JUST GOING TO SPAM YOUR COMMENTS SECTION BY RAMBLING ON FOREVER LOLOLOL

THANK YOU FOR THIS <33333333333333333

ROCK ON SUPERNOVA,
abbiee

 
At July 7, 2017 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

YESSS. I really think this movement is going to change YA literature, especially because I'm realizing there are SO MANY other people out there who want change. WE ARE THE REBELLION.

I tell that to my mom ALL THE TIME. If it weren't for her and my family, my faith, and the good books I've read, I would DEFINITELY NOT be the person I am today.

YES YOU SHOULD TOTALLY DO IT I'D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS MORE COMPLETELY. And don't worry bc I love your comments and they totally make my day <3 <3

THANK YOU SO MUCH <3

 

Post a Comment

Hey there! I'd love to chat with you! Just please keep things clean and respectful.
*hands you a cup of unending gratitude*

And I respond to every comment, so be sure to check back for my reply!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home