<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://audreycaylin.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Audrey Caylin: 6 MONTH BLOGVERSARY: What I've Learned From Being A Blogger

Saturday, April 22, 2017

6 MONTH BLOGVERSARY: What I've Learned From Being A Blogger




I've been blogging for six months.

That doesn't feel right. I feel like I've been doing this forever, but six months actually isn't a long time

To celebrate the halfway point to my one year blogversary, I've thought back on the past months and put together a post of all the things I've learned from being a blogger.



1. COMMUNITY IS IMPORTANT FOR EVERY WRITER.
If you're an extrovert, you're probably screaming "of course! why would it not be?!?" But if you're an introvert, you might understand me more on this point. I went for the longest time having absolutely no support with my writing. The only person to look at it was me, and to talk about it with family or friends was the most terrifying thing in the world.

I'd always thought of writing as something you do alone. But that's not true. We would not be the writers we are today without support. Yes, we write our novels all ourselves, but it's the encouragement and ideas that we get from friends that really boost us along.

Writing isn't as solitary as we might think. Accountability, encouragement, brainstorming, critique... writers need friends and community, no matter how introverted they might be. I still get all excited when I hear people having the same struggles and successes as I've had. It's inspiring to be able to relate to someone else. This blogging community has been such a blessing in that!


2. EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN VOICE.
This is something I really struggled with during my first months of blogging. I wanted to be unique, but I also wanted a voice similar to some other bloggers'. I thought I needed my voice to be something familiar for my posts to be enjoyable. Then I realized what silly thinking that was, because people didn't come to my blog to read something they could read anywhere else. 

Each blogger is unique, and that's what makes every blog so awesome to read. It gets to the point where you just have to stop thinking about it and write. The same thing with novels. The more you think about it, the harder it gets. You can't keep trying to copy other peoples' styles. Eventually, you're going to have to give in and accept your own. And that's good.

God made everyone different for a reason. Embrace it.


3. THIS IS YOUR BLOG.
Obviously. But is it really? Who runs this blog? Your family? Your readers? You?

None of them are the wrong; this is your blog. You chose what you post about and when you post. Just because so-and-so posts twenty times a week doesn't mean you have to. Just because so-and-so wants you do posts only on writing lessons doesn't mean you have to. Keep your vision in mind. Is this blog a place where you write about what other people write about, or where you write about what you want to write about? Don't get me wrong: reader feedback and inspiration is awesome. But there's that point where you have to stick with your plan, or you'll be caught trying to please everyone and thus pleasing no one. Have confidence in your ideas.


4. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FUN.
Ha, yes. It is xD Don't stress yourself out by writing monster posts or posting three times a day. Just be consistent and keep it light. It's not the end of the world if you say you need a week off or to write a post made up entirely of pictures (I have yet to do that ;).


5. WRITE WHAT YOU LOVE.
This goes with the other points. Don't write things you don't like to write about. Simple as that. Don't try to be something you're not. If you like to write sarcastic posts, write sarcastic posts. If you like to give writing tips, give writing tips. If you like to talk about God, talk about God. It's like writing a novel: you don't write dystopia just because it's dystopia and other people like it; you write historical fiction because you love historical fiction.

And you write your blog posts because you love to blog!


**************

I hope you all had a beautiful Easter! And thank you for reading my blog, even if you just started. You guys are awesome *hands you cups of unending gratitude*

<3

Audrey Caylin


How long have you been blogging? What have you learned from being a blogger?

Labels:

32 Comments:

At April 22, 2017 at 6:27 AM , Blogger Marrok Macintyre said...

Great post Audrey! And happy six mouth anniversary! It does feel like something we have been doing forever doesn't it (since im at the half way point to) but it sure has been fun! Your points where great and i totally agree with them especially the writer part. (Though I've been to... lets go with shy... to share my work yet)

 
At April 22, 2017 at 6:39 AM , Blogger Catherine Hawthorn said...

Excellent post, Audrey! And Happy Six-Month Blogoversary!

I started my first blog, Frugally Fancy, 5 months ago (11/19/16) and my second one, The Rebelling Muse, 2 months ago (2/16/17). and honestly, it doesn't feel like its been that long. I'll put in what I learned from blogging in my own blogoversary post next month.

Farm Lassie (Catherine)
frugallyfancyfarmlass.blogspot.com
catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

 
At April 22, 2017 at 8:50 AM , Blogger R.F. Gammon said...

Happy six month blogoversary! I'm so glad you've been around for so long :) I love your blog!
And this is all so true. Blogging about what you love is key - I mean, why else would you put the time into doing it in the first place? Makes no sense.

thefloridsword.blogspot.com

 
At April 22, 2017 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy blogoversary!

I have been blogging since last year and I learned that I need to be more consistent and also make more posts about things other than reviews xD

 
At April 22, 2017 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Sarah Margaret said...

congrats on six months, girlie!! <33

 
At April 22, 2017 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Karyssa Norton said...

Yay! Congrats on six months of blogging! :D Yes, community is important. I didn't have any support either before I started a blog. And I'm so glad I did because everyone is so encouraging! :) I've been blogging for almost four months now myself. And I agree, write what you want. I do! ;)

I love your blog, Audrey! It's one of my favorites! :)

 
At April 22, 2017 at 3:21 PM , Blogger May @ Forever and Everly said...

I picked the perfect day to check out your blog! HAPPY SIX MONTHS! That's truly an awesome achievement. And YES. Voice is everything. Cait @ Paper Fury is like one of my favorite bloggers of ever, and her hilarity made me want to be funny on my own blog as well. However, I found a (still funny, I hope???) different voice. It wasn't the same as hers, which is good, just my own. (It basically consists of ALL CAPS TALK.)

Community and support is SO important! I don't know where I'd be without my writing friends. Love your blog, girlie! Keep doing what you do. :)

May @ Forever and Everly

 
At April 22, 2017 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Congrats on your half way point too! I guess October was a good month to start blogging in xD
That's totally alright. I think we all instinctively know when it's time to share our writing with the world!

 
At April 22, 2017 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Eeep! Thank you!

Wow, you have two blogs?!? That's awesome! I'll definitely keep an eye out for that post!

Thanks for reading <3

 
At April 22, 2017 at 4:23 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

THANK YOU. Your comment just made my day <3

I know :P Sometimes I think we get caught up in making sure we're on schedule and having fancy graphics... but we're really doing it because we love it!

 
At April 22, 2017 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Consistency is definitely tough! And that's super cool that you do reviews! I guess I should have added that point to my post, that it's good to mix it up every now and then. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by!

 
At April 22, 2017 at 4:26 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Aaaaah thank you <3<3

 
At April 22, 2017 at 4:27 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I know, right? (I could write a post about it... but I think I already did xD)
Wow, four months?!? I feel like I've been following you forever!

Thank you <3 That means a lot! :D

 
At April 22, 2017 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Melissa Gravitis said...

Happy Six Month Blogoversary! I recently celebrated one year of blogging, and it's been such an incredible journey. All the points you made are so true. In addition to those I've learnt not to compare yourself to other bloggers, as the way they write, connect, and gain followers will always be completely different from yours. It's so important to focus on your success, not pining over not having someone else's. :D
Great post! :)

 
At April 22, 2017 at 4:31 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Eeep! Yes! I haven't spent that much time on Cait's blog, but I do know she's a blogging queen xD I think it's good to have bloggers we look up to, just so we have an idea of what we want our blog to be like.
ALL CAPS TALK IS EPIC, btw.

I definitely wouldn't be where I am without this community either! Thank you!

<3

 
At April 22, 2017 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Congrats on one year yourself! That's huge!
Wow, yeah, that's a fantastic point to make. It's so easy to go compare ourselves to others and forget that everyone's journey is entirely different.

Thanks for stopping by! :D

 
At April 23, 2017 at 2:15 AM , Blogger Amy said...

HAPPY SIXTH MONTH BLOGOVERSARY!! And awesome post, I totally agree with all your points. Especially about blogging voice - I'm still struggling with that, and I'm not sure if I have a particular voice, but yeah ;) I'm working on it!

Here's to many more posts! Can't wait to see where your writing goes :) <3

Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

 
At April 23, 2017 at 4:00 AM , Blogger Jem Jones said...

Happy blogoversary, Audrey! Thanks for sharing the lessons you've learned, too. I'm still new to blogging, but I've definitely found that 1. the community is great; and 2. I will have to develop my voice! :)

Jem Jones

 
At April 23, 2017 at 3:12 PM , Blogger Jane Maree said...

Happy anniversaryyy!! *throws confetti*

I've been blogging for...almost three years. O_O Wow. I'd say I was a blogging legend by now but no. xD I still have no idea what I'm doing. xP

 
At April 24, 2017 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Congratulations!! You blog as though you've been doing it for longer too. :) And those are great things to learn - I'm pretty sure we all need to be reminded no matter how long we've been blogging. All the best for the next six months (and many more)! :)

 
At April 24, 2017 at 10:34 PM , Blogger Caitlin Lambert said...

Yay! Happy 6-month-blogversary Audrey!! I loved this post... everything you said was spot on. I've been blogging only a few months, and already I've met lots of incredible bloggers - such as yourself =)

You are so right about voice. It's easy to get swayed by what everyone else is writing, and what everyone else is having SUCCESS in writing. But we have to be true to ourselves and to what we are passionate about. God has given each of us different gifts and loves, and we should embrace them.

Here's to six more months of dream-chasing and blog-posting!

~Caitlin @ Quills & Coffee
www.caitlinlambert.com

 
At April 24, 2017 at 10:38 PM , Blogger Caitlin Lambert said...

You absolutely have a voice, girl! =)

 
At April 25, 2017 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Abbiee said...

ASDFGHJKL THERE IS SO MUCH GOODNESS IN THIS POST I COULD JUST EAT IT!!! <3333 All of these points are so true omg. I can especially relate to #1 and #5. The blogging/writing community is one of my greatest blessings in life. Often times I find myself pondering WHERE IN HECK I WOULD BE WITHOUT ALL THESE BEAUTIFUL SOULS TO CHEER ME ON. Like??? IT'S AMAZING. :''') Community is so powerful. And ONLINE community at that. IT'S LIKE WE COULD PRACTICALLY TAKE OVER THE WORLD Y'KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

And then number 5...YES YES YES. I hosted a survey on my blog not long ago to see what kinds of posts my readers liked the most...and thankfully a lot of their tastes lined up with my own but I ended up not making many changes according to what my readers liked!! *malicious laughter* *but not really* because I learned that the most important thing first and foremost is to make sure I'm enjoying my blog. So nobody really liked geeky tutorial posts...but do I still write geeky tutorial posts?? UM YES BECAUSE I'M A GEEK. :') So yes. I'm babbling. BUT THAT POINT IS SO IMPORTANT I JUST HAD TO SHOUT MY FULL AGREEMENT!!! *hugs you and gives you waffles*

rock on,
abbiee

 
At April 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Abbiee said...

also you've only been blogging for six months hOW ARE YOU SO GOOD AT THIS???????

ur obviously superhuman ok<3

 
At April 25, 2017 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

THANK YOU, AMY! I still can't believe it's already been this long!

You DO have a voice. Trust me (and Caitlin ;). Sometimes I think we ourselves can't identify our own voices, but others can see them. And YOU HAVE ONE. It's awesome. Keep it up! <3

Awww, thank you! <3<3

 
At April 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

You're welcome! Being a new blogger is fun, but it can get overwhelming. I'm glad my post helped. :)

That's awesome! It usually doesn't take super long to develop a voice. From the posts of yours that I've read, I would say that you already have one. You're on the right track!

Thanks for stopping by <3

 
At April 25, 2017 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

*tries to catch confetti* *fails horribly*

O.O Three years! I bet you could write a long list of the things you've learned in that time.

"I still have no idea what I'm doing." I think I'll be saying the same thing about writing and blogging for the rest of my life xD

 
At April 25, 2017 at 4:05 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Eeep! Thank you -- that means a lot! It's been a ton of fun so far, and I can't wait to look back when I finally reach my one-year blogversary.

Thank you! <3

 
At April 25, 2017 at 4:10 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Awww, thank you, Caitlin! I feel so blessed to meet and interact on so many blogs and with wonderful bloggers, including you and your epic blog! :D

I know! I wonder if there will ever be a time in my writing and blogging future when doubts don't come in about my voice and my success. Sometimes all I can do is just block everything else out and trust God that He's taking me where I need to go.

Thank you! <3

 
At April 25, 2017 at 4:15 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Eating posts for dinner can be quite yummy xD

I KNOW. WE ARE EPIC. The support here is just INCREDIBLE and EPIC and I could probably write a whole other post about it again. I think I've said this before, but it would be legit awesome if we all got together one day for a big party and it would be EPIC. (and we would probably take over the world XD)

YESSS. Blogging can take up quite a bit of time and if we don't like what we're doing, why do it? Keep writing geeky tutorial posts, bc they are interesting and I ADORE your posts and your blog, okay?

AAAHHH. THANK YOU. You're awesome <3<3

 
At May 6, 2017 at 10:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great tips! Thanks for sharing!

https://tizziestidbits.wordpress.com

 
At May 6, 2017 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

You're welcome :) Thanks for reading!

<3

 

Post a Comment

Hey there! I'd love to chat with you! Just please keep things clean and respectful.
*hands you a cup of unending gratitude*

And I respond to every comment, so be sure to check back for my reply!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home